Tuesday, July 22, 2008

New Release to Watch from OUP

Cheryl Laguardia, a blogger at LibraryJournal.com, has taken a look at a new collection of digitized 19th-century materials from Oxford called "Electronic Enlightenment." Cheryl writes,

"They present this as a community resource, and are inviting researchers to contribute to the file by adding information about previously unknown correspondents and materials from the period."

It’s heavily gated, and doesn’t appear to have a teaser/free side without registration. I don't really like registering for items that I won't use (I really don't even like registering most of the time when I will use them). So, I'll be watching for user responses and commentary. I'm interested to see how it will compare with the Labyrinth, a "free" resourse on Medieval studies that has been around since the mid-1990s. Several years ago I used it on a research project for a local museum. It functioned more like a cross between an academic Wiki and a host for classroom lectures, etc. The Labyrinth has "recently" (since last I used it) added a tree/search structure, but otherwise looks the same.V ery useful, if not as pretty as OUP's product.

No comments: