Friday, March 28, 2008

Hulu, the guilty pleasure

A couple of weeks ago NYTimes.com announced that Hulu.com was through testing, and open for business. Coincidentally, the same week the cable bill jumped 20% and I canceled it. So, I had plenty of time to test the new computer, old DSL connection, and new TV on the Internet.

It's a lot of fun. It turns out its mostly old TV, just like cable. Like iTunes, the quality would not hold up to a screening of Good Night, and Good Luck or Lawrence of Arabia. Unlike iTunes and YouTube, it's not open for anyone and everyone to post content or links to content, as it functions as a distribution channel for some big networks and production companies. Hulu's other shortcomings include little news or non-fiction (like the Discovery Channel and NGEO) programming, which I do miss. However, there are plenty of sitcoms, movies, and dramas that I had forgotten I liked.

The show that convinced me Hulu is worthwhile is the turkey episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. Because of music permissions the show hasn't been released on DVD until recently, and then, as now on Hulu, the music isn't as memorable as it was when I was a child. Even so, unless you're a card-carrying member of PETA, I recommend it highly if you want a good laugh.

P.S. One more major shortcoming: Apparently content will be changed almost randomly, so don't miss the turkey drop, in case it's pulled before the DRM is hacked!

No comments: